July is National Hot Dog Month
Over the 4th of July weekend, Americans consume approximately 155 million hot dogs – an obvious reason why July has been named National Hot Dog Month. In honor of this nationwide event, Windy City Pizza and BBQ rounded up these fun and little-known hot dog facts:
- Originally known as beef frankfurters or sausages, sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan coined the name ‘hot dogs’ at a 1901 New York baseball game.
- Most adults prefer mustard on their dogs, while children prefer ketchup. Some even believe that ketchup shouldn’t be used on hot dogs by anyone over 18!
- The Vienna Beef Company first served their dogs at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, and opened their first store on Halsted a year later.
- In 1928, Vienna retired its horse-drawn carriages, replacing them with a motorized fleet.
- The Great Depression saw the creation of the Chicago-style hot dog. Starting with a Vienna hot dog in a steamed sesame seed bun, the dog is topped with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped onions, tomato wedges, a kosher-style pickle spear, some spicy sport peppers and finished with a dash of celery salt. It is a meal on a bun, and it cost only a nickel during the 1930’s.
- By the late 1950s, Vienna beef hot dogs “dragged through the garden” are popular throughout Chicago and its suburbs.
So why are we spending time laying out this encyclopedic information about this popular, classic American food? Because we make the best Chicago-style dogs in the Bay Area, using real Vienna beef hot dogs, and we want our customers to understand where these traditions originated!
Get Your Vienna Beef Chicago Dog Right Here in San Mateo
Our San Mateo restaurant also serves incredible Chicago-style pizza and Texas smokehouse barbecue. We offer indoor and outdoor dog-friendly seating (pun intended), online ordering and lunch specials. Visit us today to celebrate National Hot Dog Month! Windy City Pizza and BBQ is conveniently located off highway 92 and El Camino Real, at 35 Bovet Road in San Mateo, CA. Give us a call at (650) 578-1942 for take out or delivery!
San Mateo Pizza Restaurant Talks Gluten-Free Diets and Pizza
Gluten-free is a common buzz word today. With the widespread awareness of celiac disease and gluten intolerance, many people are adapting to the gluten-free diet, even without having the disease or intolerance. There are even blogs and books dedicated to helping make the transition. At Windy City Pizza & BBQ, we’re happy to offer vegan and gluten-free pizza for our diet-restricted guests. But does it mean that something is automatically better for you if it’s free of gluten? If you have Celiac Disease, that is definitely the case. However, what if you aren’t gluten insensitive? Should you still avoid gluten? The answer to that question depends on the person. Continue reading Is Gluten-Free Pizza Better for You?
Pizza Restaurants are THE Place for Comfort Food
Pizza is the pinnacle of comfort food according to recent studies. Once again, pizza proves to be the number one “go-to” meal, when people are looking for comfort, a culinary “pick me up,” or just a reason to celebrate!
The recent Harris Poll study showed that 15% of 2,252 adults said that a slice of pizza was their favorite comfort food. Chocolate and ice cream came tied for second place, while mac ‘n’ cheese came in fourth. Pizza also continues to be the most photographed food on instagram and continues to grow in popularity.
One reason pizza remains so popular is because it has the ability to adapt to individuals and regional preferences. Consumers today are looking for unique pizza toppings, more meat options, and they’re even exploring different sauces. The traditional tomato based sauce is starting to lose prominence as newer flavors like Sriracha sauce and garlic cream sauce grow in popularity. The prevalence of celiac disease and gluten intolerance has also made gluten-free pizza options a must-have for consumers. Restaurants like Windy City Pizza and BBQ are addressing current demands by offering gluten free pizza in San Mateo.
In studies where groups were separated by unique demographics like gender, age groups and geography, pizza still ranked number one. While the reasons men and women choose comfort food vary, women tend to turn to pizza when they’re stressed, while men often eat pizza when they’re feeling good.
Visit Windy City Pizza and BBQ for the Best Pizza in San Mateo
So the next time you have a tough day, need a pick me up, or simply want a reason to indulge your taste buds, get the best pizza in San Mateo and visit Windy City Pizza and BBQ. Call (650) 578-1924 to place an order, or order online right here.