July is National Hot Dog Month
Over the 4th of July weekend, Americans consume approximately 155 million hot dogs – an obvious reason why July has been named National Hot Dog Month. In honor of this nationwide event, Windy City Pizza and BBQ rounded up these fun and little-known hot dog facts:
- Originally known as beef frankfurters or sausages, sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan coined the name ‘hot dogs’ at a 1901 New York baseball game.
- Most adults prefer mustard on their dogs, while children prefer ketchup. Some even believe that ketchup shouldn’t be used on hot dogs by anyone over 18!
- The Vienna Beef Company first served their dogs at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, and opened their first store on Halsted a year later.
- In 1928, Vienna retired its horse-drawn carriages, replacing them with a motorized fleet.
- The Great Depression saw the creation of the Chicago-style hot dog. Starting with a Vienna hot dog in a steamed sesame seed bun, the dog is topped with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped onions, tomato wedges, a kosher-style pickle spear, some spicy sport peppers and finished with a dash of celery salt. It is a meal on a bun, and it cost only a nickel during the 1930’s.
- By the late 1950s, Vienna beef hot dogs “dragged through the garden” are popular throughout Chicago and its suburbs.
So why are we spending time laying out this encyclopedic information about this popular, classic American food? Because we make the best Chicago-style dogs in the Bay Area, using real Vienna beef hot dogs, and we want our customers to understand where these traditions originated!
Get Your Vienna Beef Chicago Dog Right Here in San Mateo
Our San Mateo restaurant also serves incredible Chicago-style pizza and Texas smokehouse barbecue. We offer indoor and outdoor dog-friendly seating (pun intended), online ordering and lunch specials. Visit us today to celebrate National Hot Dog Month! Windy City Pizza and BBQ is conveniently located off highway 92 and El Camino Real, at 35 Bovet Road in San Mateo, CA. Give us a call at (650) 578-1942 for take out or delivery!